Monday, March 25, 2013

My Victory Cross Country Review

When you least expected it, Victory comes out with yet another new motorcycle. This announcement riding on the waves of the recently released Victory Vision motorcycle. Well, Victory decided to come back towards the center from the high-end touring version of the Victory Vision to the new cruiser/touring Victory Cross Country. The release of new motorcycles is unexpected for two main reasons. One, the economy is so bad and people are not buying luxury items like motorcycles. Two, Victory just release the Vision and has been promoting this motorcycle heavily at motorcycle shows and events. The conclusion that one takes is that the team at Victory is on the top of their game. Taking risks in a down economy and releasing new bikes with new technologies. History shows that companies that invest in their company and continue inventing new products during a recession come out very strong when the recession ends.

Along with the release of the Victory Cross Country comes its sister, the Cross Roads. A very similar but yet very different motorcycle. I prefer the styling and intended point of use (POU) of the Victory Cross Country. Bottom line, Victory research engineers listened to the motorcycling public. With the majority of Victory Kingpin owners looking to make their motorcycle into more of a long tourer by upgrading seats, windshields, luggage, etc. Victory listened and came out with the solution, the Cross Country. The unconfirmed rumor is that the Victory Kingpin will be phased out and replaced by the Cross Country.

I was able to see the Victory Cross Country in person at the Washington International motorcycle show. I was impressed by the styling, comfort, and features. I also like the Ness styled paint job. The next time that I crossed paths with the motorcycle was at the Carlisle motorcycle show. Victory had their big rig truck with the various Victory models lined up ready for demo rides. Side note, all of the other manufacturers were offering demo rides as well. Except, Harley Davidson. I filled out the liability form and promised not to crash their motorcycle. Taking the demo ride closed the deal for me. This bike not only looks great, it handles and perform very well.

When I sat on the Cross Country, I was impressed by the low and very comfortable seat height. You are part of this bike when you sit and ride it. Unlike Harley Davidson's where I feel like I am sitting up on top of the motorcycle and not really feeling like I am part of the bike. Harley Davidson's' feel like scooters to me compared to the Victory motorcycles. The comfortable seat on the bike also means you have a lower center of gravity. They bike felt very manageable and very well balanced. Very comfortable riding position and handlebar location.

The bike is everything that has been advertised in regards to handling and performance with its 106 Freed V-Twin power house. It has a touring type feel on the highway and a cruiser type feel in town. This bike begs to be driven hard through the curves and the mountain twisties.

The Victory Cross Country is a sheer pleasure to ride and I would definitely consider it for my long touring rides. I would even get it as a commuter. The extra storage makes it suitable for long rides or storing your daily items to and from work or the store. The Victory Cross Country, with all the stretched out marketing and hype, is a winner. My advice is get yourself a Victory Cross Country. This is truly the ultimate road trip machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment